Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend with mom

Spirit has been having some problems over the last couple of weeks so I decided maybe a mommy/son day would do us both some good. I arranged for Lady Bug and Lefty to go to a friend's house because Mr. Man had to work. Spirit and I then spent the morning doing stuff he enjoys, playing video games, we went to the pet store to look at fish and puppies (both of which he wants and didn't get). We ate lunch together and then went swimming - we really had a good time. Then when Mr. Man got off work we all went to dinner together (when asked where he wanted to eat he said: "How about that chicken place dad likes so much?" isn't that thoughtful of him?) and after dinner we went ice skating. Nothing fancy, but a good day over all.

Then it came bed time. The other kids were home and I guess Spirit felt like they were taking the wind out of his sails, but his attitude just flipped. He got selfish and rude. He wasn't appreciative at all. He was mouthy beyond belief.

We gave him a "pass" in hopes that he was just tired. Sunday - no change in the attitude. Then he told his brother that he could never get to go ice skating or to dinner with mom because we don't have money for him. WHAT???? Then he also proceeded to tell his sister that we were going to buy her a new shirt (which we did look at some) but decided she didn't "need new stuff" -- again I ask WHAT??? where is he coming up with this stuff and why is he being so mean to them?? Of course, Lefty and Lady Bug were upset about that so Mr. Man had to talk to Spirit, but it didn't go well. He ended up in bed early last night and the conversation started over this morning, when Spirit got up and mouthed off to his dad.

Spirit is in his room as we speak, writing in a journal about what we did for him this weekend and what he should have done differently to show us he appreciated it. Mr. Man wants a full page report when he gets home from work tonight! (this could get ugly!)

How can something that was supposed to be special have turned into such a mess? Such is life I guess.

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

So sorry to hear that he's having a difficult time! I hope things start looking up soon!

Beth Cotell said...

The things he writes in the report could be very interesting. Maybe it will shed some light on his behavior!