Thursday, July 10, 2008

Road Trip Activity Books

I actually did these activity books for a road trip we took 2 years ago and we still have them and still use them.

I took a 2" 3-ring binder with the plastic cover where you can insert a page in the front as a title page. I then printed off the computer the kids' names so each kid had their own binder.

I bought those pencil holders that have three holes so they can be inserted in a binder. We put a couple pencils, pens, colored pencils and a few markers (I put a pencil sharpener in my purse because it made the book too bulky)

Then I downloaded color sheets, tic-tac-toe boards, dot-to-dots, color-by-numbers, etc. from the Internet. I even did some math pages and writing practice sheets. (You could include lined notebook paper or even a separate journal to encourage a child to write about the road trip.)

I 3-hole punched these and put them in the books. I made extras for when we got to our destination I could throw away the "used" pages and add some new ones. I packed the extras in my suitcase (just laid them flat in a file folder on the bottom) and they didn't take up much space. These were great and even kept the kids occupied in the hotel when we needed them to sit and wait on us for whatever reason.

This year we are going to take them with us on our road trip to my niece's wedding in August. After the wedding some of us are going camping along the Oregon coast so I am hoping that if we get some bad weather or need to entertain the kids that the books will come in handy then too! Because they aren't too bulky, they are going to fit nicely in our tote bag and I can still have room for a few other items in the bag too, like snacks or whatever.

Here are some great websites for printing pages:

Family Fun Printables

ABCTeach

Print Activities.com

School Express

KidZone

DLTK

TLS Books.com

Coloring Book Fun

PBSKids

Preschool Education

First School

Lil' Fingers

Moms Mini Van

Here is a link to print out a Map to play the license plate game.

Activities for Kids

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Great Idea! This will be great for the Toddler when we go on vacation. Also, I read that a lot of kids, including my Toddler, love sticky notes. Include a pack and let the fun begin. Your back seat will be covered from top to bottom but it will keep them entertained!!