Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Breaking bad news

I called my sister to tell her I didn't think we were going to be able to afford to go to my niece's wedding. With the price of gas and all and it will be a 1300-1400 mile trip with 3 kids in the heat of the summer so we were sort of thinking it wouldn't work out. Here is how my conversation went:

Me: (a little scared because of what I am about to tell her) Hey! Whatcha doin'?

Sis: (yes this was all in one breath!!) Just painting my kitchen since we are going to have all these people staying here for the wedding. My husband wanted it painted so it will look perfect when everyone is here. Remember when we were kids and we used to be totally embarrassed when mom would drag us to the store and she wouldn't shower first or do her hair and her clothes were mismatched? Well, I've turned into mom. I have my paint clothes on and my hair is up in a pony that is falling out and I look like a wreck -- but yep. I went to the store! OH! But guess what I found there? I bought each kid a goody bag for the reception. That way they don't have to just sit and be bored. I am going to cover one table with paper and call it the Kids Table and they can color, I put a small box of crayons in each bag. I also put some bubbles and card games, each kid got a different card game. I got the little girls some fun necklaces and stuff. It will be fun. That way they have stuff to hopefully keep them entertained. I just can't wait for you to get here. Getting all the little kids together is going to be so much fun. Then when we go camping I was thinking all the girls could sleep in the RV and the boys in tents? Would that work?

Me: ummmm, well...

Sis: (interrupting me) Oh shoot. I gotta go I just dumped this paint can. Love you. Bye!!!

That is just great. Now what do I do? I told Mr. Man and he said that maybe we could just charge the whole thing. I'm not sure we have enough "available credit" to do that, but he said he'd analyze it.

EEEKKK.

5 comments:

Misty said...

ok... you know my current situation, and i am not a fan of debt.

BUT, I think it's a necessity. Where does your sister live? Is it heading East or west...

Annikke said...

My sister lives in Oregon. I realllllly want to go to the wedding. It is almost going to be a mini family reunion. I am so hoping we work it out to go somehow.

Beth Cotell said...

This is a hard one. I would not recommend charging it. Perhaps you could go alone. Would that make it cheaper?

I would seriously pray about this before making a decision.

Good luck!

Julie said...

wow, that's a tough call. can you cut back on some other things before or after to help cover the costs?

Forgetfulone said...

Isn't that just typical? Reminds me of my sister! I do hope you can work out a way to get there, but with gas at the rate it is... I wouldn't recommend racking up more debt than necessary, though. I hope you can find a way.