Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A pet peeve

After we delivered our stillborn baby, Wesley, 5 years ago, I had to make a trip to the grocery store because even though food was the last thing I wanted, I had two little boys who needed to eat. First of all, I noticed every baby and every pregnant woman. It seemed that there were hundreds in the store that day. I know it probably wasn't any more or less than any other day, but since I was grieving it seemed that babes and pregnant women were at every inch of the store. It felt as though I could not turn my head without seeing one. It cut me to the core every time. Then I got to the checkout and was so sad I didn't speak much to the cashier. As he handed me my receipt he said words that I know I had said to people probably many times before, but at that moment I swore I would never say them again:

"Smile. It isn't that bad."


I didn't say anything, but I thought to myself: "You have absolutely no idea how bad my life is right now."


It was at that moment I decided not to ever say that to someone. It frankly has become a pet peeve of mine, if I hear someone say that I just cringe. I guess it really made me realize that unless you really, really, really know someone you don't know what is going on on the inside of them.


I also acknowledge the fact that this gentleman was not trying to twist a knife in my already aching heart (he would have no way of knowing that my heart was already in shreds), I know he was simply trying to bring a smile to my face, but it stung so bad that I just decided I would not and could not ever say that to someone.

3 comments:

Misty said...

Oh my dear friend... I am so sorry for your loss. We have been there. We had seven little babies that were all born between 4 and 7 months. It's amazing how, in times like that, you do learn things about human etiquette and what not to say. although, your perspective was remarkably unselfish.I can't say the same for mine, during that time in life.

Aubrey said...

I feel for you every time I hear this story...

Mandy said...

I'm so sorry about Wesley. And you're so right...we never know what someone is going through.