Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My kids will probably need therapy

Since when is a G-rated Christmas movie violent? Has anyone ever seen The Flight Before Christmas movie?


Last Friday night, Frosty The Snowman was on TV, followed by Frosty Returns, followed by The Flight Before Christmas. We had finished dinner and then we got jammies on and rolled out sleeping bags, started the fire, popped popcorn and got ready to watch the movies. I decided the kids could watch the movies while I made cookies, Oreo bark and Turtle Pretzels in the kitchen. I was just finishing up for the night when The Flight Before Christmas started. The kids were glued to this movie. I grabbed myself a bowl of popcorn and plopped down on the couch to watch with them. I was kind of excited about this new flick.


Then, all of sudden there are these very black and scary looking wolves chasing an innocent reindeer saying things about how they like to eat children and then to a squirrel they say "shut up nutboy".... what? Isn't this a kids movie? Isn't this being played on TV at 8:00 at night. Yikes??? At this point Lady Bug jumps up into my lap saying she doesn't like the movie.


We continue to watch as this poor reindeer, Nicko, is apparently on the hunt for the North Pole, although he keep saying he is headed to "Santa's Ville" (or something like that) but Lefty thinks he is saying Santa's Hell and he asks me why Santa lives in hell. (Nice!)


Ok, so I realize the kids will need therapy for a whole host of other reasons and I let them continue to watch. It isn't my kind of warm, fuzzy Christmas movie, but whatever. We keep watching. Nicko and a couple friends make it to a somewhat scary looking North Pole, not the cozy, friendly place I have always envisioned.


As they enter into the village, here come Santa's reindeer pulling a sleigh but Nicko causes them to crash and a Santa dummy is thrown about and catches on fire!! At first you have no idea that it is a Santa dummy, and my poor 3 yo thought it was the real Santa. (Nice!....again!)


There were points in the village where the wolves get in and are trying to eat Santa's reindeer! The wolves also talk about eating others and surrounding their victims. There are other equally as fun parts of the movie: there are several avalanches, Nicko and his friends jump across a scary river and at another point fall into a huge canyon onto rocks and almost go over a waterfall, huge icicles fall and almost crush the animals, one of Nicko's friends pokes one the wolves in his behind with a icicle and my favorite part is near the end when Wilma (a little forest animal) is with Nicko and Santa's reindeer, she starts singing this song in a voluptuous voice and shaking her hips, caressing the squirrel, all the while the reindeer are drinking mugs of what appears to be beer and then belch loudly -- what???? Oh yes!

Also, the whole movie is about Nicko going to find his dad who is one of Santa's reindeer (Prancer I think it was). Apparently, his dad, Prancer, had a "one night stand" with his mom. She never had the chance to tell him that they had a baby. Ok, I realize the movie is about some fictional characters, but kids don't always make that distinction -- especially a 3 yo. Also, there are hints given about “The Flying Forces” taking out ladies all the time.


Needless to say, I found this movie disgusting. I was expecting a cute, corny Christmas movie that had sweet values. However, it glorified being disobedient, had violence and hints of sexual situations, and didn't live up to its message about family.


I advise all of you to steer clear of this horrible movie and am so sad that it is linked to anything Christmas.

8 comments:

Aubrey said...

Whoa! I have never heard of this movie but just clicked on the link you provided. Looks like mixed reviews but after yours, I will NOT be watching this!
Poor kiddos! Start saving that $, therapy is expensive! LOL

Lianne said...

Oh no! My kids totally watched that too! When I heard Norm MacDonald's voice as one of the characters, I knew it was bad news.

La Pixie said...

1st - please explain "turtle pretzels"

2nd - the movie sounds AWFUL. thanks for the warning. I will keep my cousins away from it.

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Wow! I have never heard of that movie. Hopefully, they won't back a tradition of playing it every year.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Thanks for the heads-up. That's kind of how we felt about The Polar Express-The hobo, the scary conductor...getting lost, the train on ice-my kids JUST this year will watch it-they were so scared the last time...

Jennifer said...

Wha? Nothing says Christmas like image of anta in Hell being chased by killer wolves!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Mikki Black said...

Wow. I... I am astounded. And somewhat intrigued. I think I have to see this train wreck. (I LOVE bad movies) But no worries, I'll hide the kids first!

Just stopping by from SITS to say Hi! Hope you don't have any more frightful experiences!

Anonymous said...

Uh, that is not a kids movie. I am surprised what gets passed off these days as 'for kids'. I remember watching stuff I shouldn't have as a kid but it's like those days were different.