Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Door-to-Door Salesman

I was home with the kids one day last week and I wasn't feeling well so I was in bed while the kids played games on the bed beside me.

The door bell rings.

I go down to answer it and there is a gentleman standing there with an air freshener (a Renuzit kind or something similar) and he asks me if I am the lady of the house. I said yes and he hands me the air freshener saying "Here. This is a gift for you."

Then he proceeds to say he isn't selling anything (ya, whatever.) and that he just wants to clean a whole room in my house and get my opinion of the product.

Before I can say anything, he steps inside my home and I asked him to step back out also saying to him "I don't really have time for this. I am not feeling well and we have some errands to run soon."

He says: "well, this will only take a minute." I said no again as he is unloading his stuff on my front room floor. Finally, I said: "My husband will be home soon and we are leaving to run errands as soon as he gets home."

As soon as I said that, he packed up grabbed "my gift" and walked out the door. He took my gift. What a jerk. March into my home -- uninvited -- then take back the gift you gave me? Sheesh.

Seriously folks, he creeped me out!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Girl, I don't like the sounds of that. I'm glad you're okay and nothing happened!

And, seriously, if he wasn't selling anything - then why'd he snatch the gift? Sheez - some people! LOL!

Misty said...

NOT good... I'm a firm believer in thieves scoping homes out, that way. And FYI for next time, 911 works to. Technically, once he steps in your doorway without permission it is categorized under "home invasion".

Lianne said...

That gave me chills! Be careful, girlfriend!

Temple said...

Sounds like a total thief checking out your place...I'd definitely report this to your local authorities. It's things like this that make me glad Matt has guns...lots of guns...

La Pixie said...

what a loser/jerk. be glad that he left. I wouldnt have been as nice as you were.

Anonymous said...

Vacuum cleaner salesman reportedly use the Renuzit spray to gain access to your house while their partner is waiting at the car to join in as soon as you are distracted with the can. They tried this on me the other day and failed. But here's a guy standing there with nothing but a spray can, asking to come in. DUH, I dont think so. He argued wtih me when I said no, and I DID have a NO S0LICITING SIGN up. I called the cops. He and his little buddy at the car left. What if it were someone who wanted to simply get inside your door then spray that stuff in your eyes and attack? I always answer the door with a phone in my hand now, and act like I've got someone on the line. Also use the word "WE" to indicate you are not alone. Get a locking glass storm door and don't open it, talk through it. Or do what I do and just silently point to the NO SOLICITING sign and close the door. Hey ask to see his solicitor's license and when he even hesitates, start dialing 911. He will run away.

Anonymous said...

HOME INVASION... You know, I had a politician who was running for a Colorado senate seat push his way into my house back in 1994. He came to my door to ask for my vote, I said 'no soliciting' and tried to close the door. He PUT HIS LEG in the door to stop it from closing and told me he used to work for the police department and knew all those guys over there. I was so shocked and in disbelief that all I could do was stand there and stare at him stupidly, smoldering, as he kept talking. I wish I could name him here, but he would probably sue me and I couldn't prove what he did. But If I ever ran into him again, things might get really ugly, really fast. I respond to intimidation like a lion these days.