Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thrift Store bargain

I had a half hour to kill the other day and so I wandered over to the thrift store near my office. I didn't have anything in particular to get, just killing time. I met my friend Aubrey over there and we wandered around, neither one of us really finding anything.


Just then, a red plate caught my eye. I scooped it up to see it. It said "You are special today" on it in white lettering. My husband and I have been wanting one of these for those special day for the kids (birthdays, good grades, etc.) I have googled them and there are several websites that sell them; they run $25.00-50.00. I just never thought the time was right to spend that kind of money on a silly ol' plate.


Soooooo, anyway, back to my story -- I picked up the plate. It is in great shape, but man oh man it isn't marked. Aubrey said take it to the counter, see what they say. Then we notice a sign:



All dishes, cups, saucers
$0.49
unless otherwise marked

SCORE! we both said!

I marched towards the counter feeling so giddy inside. I showed the cashier my boring old, bland plate and asked how much it would be. She said "Forty nine cents"

YES! I said to myself, but to the cashier I casually said "oh. ok. I'll take it....I guess."

Yea, yea, yea! I got a $30 plate for a whopping fifty three cents (after tax) Woo hoo for me!

So, guess who got to eat off the special plate? Me! It was MY Special day for finding the plate for $0.53! I'm just kidding. I thought about it though, but then I thought it might set a precedent that I don't need around there!
It did make the kids start figuring out whose birthday is next and fighting over who is going to use it first....great! That isn't what I wanted!!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! What a great way to make everyone feel "special." And you deserve to enjoy it because finding that bargain certainly fits for your special day!

Heather said...

Score!! I love it when that happens.

sassy stephanie said...

Yaaaay you! Awesome find!

Wendy said...

Don't you just love it when that happens!! Great hunting!!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That is an unbelievable deal! I made my own because I didn't want to pay the 25-35 dollar price tag! Good job on that one!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That is awesome..
Our Goodwill is not good..ugh.

Misty said...

as soon as the photo loaded I was saying "oh my goodness, those are so expensive!!!" yay!!!

Anonymous said...

That's a cute idea. I've never heard of these plates before!
Score for a good cheap find!

Esther said...

What a great idea. That would be lovely for birthdays. Mmmm, I wonder if I can make my own somehow (without it looking cheap and un-special.)

United Studies said...

I love finding good deals at a thrift store!

Aubrey said...

I love to find a great deal when we are out shopping together! SCORE!!

Tamara Dawn said...

That is an awesome plate and an even better deal!! What thrift store was this? I need to check it out, lol!

Mainly a midwife said...

what a bargain!!! I love that!

Beth Cotell said...

I never find good deals at thrift stores. Good for you for finding such a bargain!

Tiffany said...

How stinkin' fun! I've been wanting a plate like that, too! I never thought about looking at a thrift store for it. Maybe I'll find one soon.

I did, however, get a brand new Pampered Chef rectangle stone at an upscale yard sale recently for $3! That was my score!

Julie said...

That is a score!! Congrats on a good find!

Melisa S. said...

What a neat plate and a way to score a deal!