Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Not-so-typical morning

I had been at my desk all of about 20 minutes when I heard some commotion in the hallway. There is a small window by the front door of our office that looks into the hall so I went to look out and there were 7 or 8 cops yelling all with their guns out and everything!
We had received a memo from our building management last week that we needed to be on the lookout for what the area police were calling the "Laptop Bandit". He was coming into buildings in our area and stealing laptops and digital cameras. (I wonder why they didn't call him the Laptop and Digital Camera Bandit...hmm, maybe it was too wordy! hee hee)

Apparently, a woman who works on my floor was on the elevator with a man that was dressed with a dark hoodie on and carrying a laptop bag. She said he was acting strange and wouldn't look at her when she tried to strike up a conversation. She immediately called 911 when he got off the elevator on our floor acting suspicious. Also, he had gone up to the 11th floor and was wandering around and someone there asked him if he needed help. When he left she called the building management who alerted our security guard. The guard was waiting for this guy as he got off on the first floor. He asked him what he was doing and the guy avoided him and started running out the building.

This is where the cops come in and take him down!

Pretty soon a detective comes in my office asking if we are missing anything. So I go looking and one laptop is gone, but I told the officer that the attorney may have it with him. So he left his card and told me to call him if we are missing anything.

When the attorney came in he told me he had taken it home with him last night, so it appears nothing in our suite was stolen! Thankfully!

I've told you that there are times I am in here alone. Now I am all creeped out. I do, though, lock up my purse in a desk drawer so that should always be safe. My boss said I should feel free to lock the door when I am in here alone. Phew! That makes me feel better!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for stopping by! Your comment nearly made me choke laughing.

I love the comment about that being all the food they will get that day!

Misty said...

oh my gosh. that's crazy. how gutsy! Did he actually believe he wouldn't attract attention????

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Soooo scary!!!!

Anonymous said...

How scary! I am glad you are okay..

Aubrey said...

Ever since you told me this story, I am afraid to be in the bldg. after hours. LOL
Great excuse to NOT go in in the eves!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'd be pretty freaked out! I'm glad no one got hurt.

Steph said...

That's just crazy! We also got that memo a few weeks ago. No laptops were stolen, but someone did take a backpack from my co-worker's desk...then left it in the men's restroom without taking anything. Strange.

When I have to be in the bank on the weekends, I always bring Ciara with me so I don't have to be in the big creepy place by myself! She runs around singing & making noise so I can't hear all the weird little sounds. So glad Ciara can be my guard!!! :)

United Studies said...

WOW...that would make me feel a little unsafe, too! And makes me thankful I work in a secured building. Not even Peter can get in unless I fill out a visitor request form.

This story reminded me of something that happened to my Dad one time. He was at the hospital waiting in the waiting room and a fight broke out. A bad fight...one of the guys teeth was knocked out so the cops had to come in looking for them.

sassy stephanie said...

Oh man. You should have filmed it! Bad boys, bad boys, whacha gonna do?

Melisa S. said...

Now that is scary! Glad you were told it was ok to lock the door when you are alone, I'd not have it any other way!!

OklahomaMomma said...

That would freak me out. I used to get nervous when I was working alone too. Glad everything turned out okay.