Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Homework Help

Spirit was told one morning last week before he left for school to be sure to complete his homework in the after school program because we had an event at the school that night and we wouldn't have much time in the evening to work on homework.

As soon as we all walked in the door that evening Mr. Man asked Spirit if he completed all his homework. I could hear the panic in Spirit's voice as he was trying to tell his dad that he had done none of his homework, not that he didn't get done, but that he hadn't even started it.

The after school program has a mandatory homework/quiet time. If the kids do not have homework then they need to sit and do something quietly. Spirit decided not to do the homework in his backpack, but instead he played a game with a friend.

I then heard Mr. Man raise his voice "What do you mean you didn't do it?" Then Spirit was pleading his case, which was weak at best. Oh my. I really thought he might lose his head over this one!

Sooooooooo, while I made dinner Spirit started the homework. Then after dinner we went to the school event, then when we got home he tried to finish, but didn't get his 20 minutes of reading done, so we got him up early the next morning to finish the homework!

Will this be a lesson learned? One can only hope!

9 comments:

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I hope so! You're on the right track, for sure!
(How's the dog?)

Aubrey said...

Ooooh. Tough one. What was the event? Was it something he could have missed? If so, I think that is the route I would have taken instead!
You know I have been here girlfriend (still am!) Good thing you are nipping it in the booty now. You are wonderful parents!

Melisa S. said...

You have to take action right now and I think you did the best thing. Hopefully it will work, though don't be surprised if you have a few more nights like that!

Jennifer said...

Things like that have happened a few times w/my kids--they usually learn their lesson when they have to stay up too late or get up too early to finish it!

Julie said...

Ugh, we have homework fights all the time. On Monday's Abby is usually excited to do it and by Wednesday she's over it. Getting the reading in is hard too.

Wendy said...

Yeah you're doing the right thing! Over here, if they don't finish homework, they get kept in at break time to finish it then.

United Studies said...

This is a lesson all kids have to learn, because they will be faced with this situation many, many times in their adult life. :-)

Misty said...

good job sticking to your guns...

Carrie said...

Ummmm...I always did the same thing, so I have no room to talk here...