Monday, February 25, 2008

House Hunting

House hunting will kill a marriage. I am convinced of this. If our marriage survives this it will be a miracle!

We go look at a handful of houses - say 4 or 5, maybe 6 - and if I walk in and fall in love, he walks in and hates it. OR, the things he absolutely LOVES about a house are the very things that would make me NOT want to buy it.

My husband has commitment issues. He over analyzes to avoid the commitment and I probably, under-analyze based on my emotions of it.

Through this whole process we have joked that if it were he and I (no kids) it would probably be a no-brainer. With kids in the mix, we are concerned about play-area, the schools, the parks nearby, are there other families in the neighborhood?, that sort of thing.

We have found 3 houses now, in the 2 months we have been searching. The last 2, Mr. Man drug his feet and couldn't decide whether we should make an offer. When he finally decided it was time, guess what? The house had another contract on it already. The 3rd house we really liked, he didn't like the location of it. I didn't think location was terrible, the views from the back of the house were not really views at all.... it was an apartment complex, but the location was close to everything (at least I thought so!) Well, Mr. Man drug his feet on that one too and pretty soon he was ready to make an offer. We went back on Saturday to look at it again, he had his mom and dad come look at it too. We told the realtor we were ready to make an offer and he made some calls..... it was under contract!!!! ARGH!!!!!

At first, I kept telling myself, "It wasn't meant to be or the houses wouldn't have sold." Now, I just want to strangle my husband. It is very frustrating.

So yesterday, we went back out and looked at 3 more. One was laid out weird and I felt claustrophobic in there. The next one was an "attached single family home" which is sort of like a duplex, only this had a two car garage and wasn't overly close-feeling to the next house. BUT, it was tiny inside. Even though it had 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bath, it was all put close together and there was no yard for the kids. The last house is my dream house. It is gorgeous and is everything I thought we wanted in a home..... apparently not. Mr. Man is dragging his feet and won't make an offer. I tell you people, if we lose this one too, he may be looking for a divorce attorney!

I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't stop thinking about the house and didn't fall back to sleep until 6:00 and then I needed to get up at 6:30. At 3:30 I was analyzing whether or not I could afford the house on my own. LOL. Not that I want to leave him, but I thought I could make an offer and if he doesn't want to buy that house he could find his own LOL. That was 3:30 AM delirium!!!

I was physically ill yesterday afternoon when he wouldn't just make the offer! I seriously thought I was going to throw up!

6 comments:

Misty said...

you poor thing. I hated house shopping with my husband! Hated it...

Beth Cotell said...

I'm sorry you are having so much truoble! I guess I got lucky...my husband let's me make any housing/decorating type decisions.

Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Oh, hon! I feel your pain! Hopefully the hubby comes through soon. Does he know how you feel?

Unknown said...

I'm there with you! The house I've thought we needed for several years is in foreclosure and we could get a deal. My husband is STILL dragging his feet. I know we'll get exactly what we need when the time is right, but dadgum am I tired of waiting:-(

Annikke said...

Andrea - I told him how I feel and at first I don't think he really understood, but this morning he seems more understanding of my feelings.

Mandy said...

Ugh...I've been right where you are a year ago. I've always heard that home renovations (or even building a home) were almost a divorce guarantee in a marriage. I think making house buying can be, too. LOL! I sure hope you guys can find something you BOTH love soon.