Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Something I am VERY Thankful for today!!

I had already found out last week that my dad would not be able to come for Thanksgiving, but I have been trying to get ahold of him for something not related and he hasn't returned my calls since Saturday. I have left him about 10 messages, the more he didn't return my call, the more worried I became. I left a message last night saying I was worried and if I didn't hear back from him I was going to call the police to come check on him.
My dad is 77 years old. He lives alone. He is a hermit and very independent. I have begged him for years to give me numbers of neighbors or give my number to his neighbors "just in case" and being the typical Army man he says "I will be fine." So I do not have numbers for anyone!
I kept trying to get ahold of him this morning and was trying his cell phone too. Still no answer.
I am about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my dad so I called the local police in my dad's small town and explained my situation. I told them it is not like him NOT to return my calls. They dispatched someone to his house. The officer called me back and said he wasn't responding to the knocks on the door so the officer went to several of his neighbor's houses and they all said they hadn't seen his truck there in over a week. I told the officer that my dad helped clean a local Mexican restaurant there in town and the officer said he'd head over there to check to see if they had heard from him.
A short time later, my dad called from the officer's cell phone! He told me he was fine but since he was on the officer's phone he would call me back later.
I am SO VERY THANKFUL my dad is ok! I had terrible visions of him hurt (or worse... no I didn't let my thoughts go there!)... I am so glad he is ok!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have done exactly the same thing! I hope he calls you soon and explains WHY he hadn't returned your call! (and why he had to call from the officer's cell instead of his own...)

And for the record - YOU ARE NOT BORING! :) If you were boring, we wouldn't come here to read about the happenings in your life!

KellytheCulinarian said...

Glad to hear your dad's OK.

Unknown said...

Oh my. Thank goodness he's okay. I know you were scared to death.