Friday, October 26, 2007

Budget

Does that word scare anyone else? Well, it does me!!!

Early in our marriage I handled the finances, for no other reason than I had more time than him. At that time he owned his own construction company and had to manage those books so I handled the household books. Then when he switched careers it got to a point where it became an argument for us. He would wonder why we were broke and I would wonder why he went and bought new hub caps for a piece of junk car I drove when we needed to pay the electric bill (and believe me I didn't care -- still don't -- about hub caps on my car). So we agreed, together, that he should take over. It has been going well -- he is a great budgeter (is that a word?...oh well). Now we are, together, trying to figure out why we are just barely staying above water. So, we agreed to keep track of all the spendings for one month, doing it a week at a time, and see where we may be over spending or where we could cut back or "upgrade" a category.

Wish me luck on this journey.....I am SO scared!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you friend! Living on a budget is tough stuff and truly life changing -- or so I hear, I'm not so good at sticking to the budget either. I just posted on an article that I read last night on compulsive spending. It was a good read. I learned a lot.