Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Officially a "big girl" now

Lady Bug has sucked her two middle fingers since she was a tiny baby. Never did take to a pacifier. She always used those fingers. We hadn't been pushing her to stop sucking them because she pretty much only did it at bedtime anyway. A couple nights ago I was painting my toe nails and she wanted her toes and fingers painted. So she picked out a red with sparkles in it. At bedtime she realized that if she sucked on the fingers then the polish would come off. She started to whimper and her dad went in to console her. He told her how brave she was and how proud he was of her. At 6:00 AM the next morning I heard her in the bathroom running water. I got up to see what she was doing and she was trying to wash the polish off -- I chuckled to myself. I brought her to bed with me and she closed her eyes, but couldn't fall back to sleep. She usually sleeps until 7:30 or 8:00 so 6:00 AM was very early for her. I know it was because she didn't have the comfort of her fingers to put her back to sleep. Poor thing.

Her daddy promised her a new toy and he told her we would have a "Big Girl Princess Party" if she doesn't suck her fingers the rest of the week. She has done good so far so I guess I better start planning a party fit for a princess! Today she even slept until 7:00 AM again! Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Another **sniff, sniff** from me. She's growing up!

Beth Cotell said...

Good for her. I know that must have been hard!