Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Brave little boy and Not-so-mother-of-the-year

Lefty dislocated his right index finger on Sunday night. He came inside from playing ball and told me he thought his finger was broken. I asked him to wiggle it.... which he did, a little. I figured he was being dramatic and told him he'd be fine.

3:00 AM he came in my room and told me that his finger was really hurting. Maybe I was half asleep, maybe I am just a bad mom, but I said we'll let's go back to bed and I will look at it in the morning.

6:00 AM he came in again and was laying in bed next to me. When Mr. Man gave him a hug Lefty jumped and said "oooww!" so then I remembered his finger and I looked at it. It was swollen and bruising! Nice. (guess no Mother of the Year Award for me!)

8:00 AM I called the pediatrician and they can't do X-rays at their office so they told me to just head over to Children's Hospital ER.

8:45 AM we walk into the ER and are seen fairly quickly because they aren't that busy. The doctor thinks it may be jammed or dislocated. They send us over for an X-ray and sure enough it is dislocated, not fractured in any way. They give him a shot to numb it and then yank it back into place. (I am such a good mom that I couldn't even watch.... yuck!) They wrapped his two fingers together and told him to be careful for the next few days.

10:45 AM we are heading to the store for ice cream (every good ER trip deserves some ice cream right?) and some lunch goodies.

Motrin was needed about 4:00 PM for pain and we had to re-wrap the fingers because the tape came off. Other than that he seems pretty good!

2 comments:

Misty said...

i am so that mom too!!!! Ugh!

Beth Cotell said...

I would have done the same thing!

And ice cream always fixes everything!!