We have moved 4 times in 5 years..... that is a lot of moving for anyone, but definitely little kids.
Two moves ago, when Lefty was 3 yo, we spent weeks packing with the kids helping. Well, actually what would happen is me and the boys would start out packing their rooms, but Lefty always seemed to slink out of the room without us noticing.
Then on moving day, we rose early and finished up a few odds and ends while waiting for the moving truck to come. Finally, the truck starts down the street and we are all outside watching with some anticipation. Just as the truck backs into the driveway, Lefty takes off into the house, crying. I followed him to find out what happened. I thought maybe the truck scared him a little. After some prodding, he asked me where he was going to sleep. I told him in his bed at the new house.
He stopped crying. Looked at me with a weird look on his face. Then said, "I'm going with you?"
All those weeks of packing he never said a word. He just thought we were all packing up and leaving him behind! My heart ached for him, that he had spent so many weeks feeling abandoned! He was relieved when I explained we were all going together, etc. etc. etc.
NOW, fast forward to current day. This time Spirit is worried about our move.
We aren't even sure if we got the house we put an offer on yet, but we started packing up some stuff. Spirit talked to both me and Mr. Man last night at different times, telling us how he didn't want to leave his things at this house, and what if our stuff gets lost and what if we don't have food?
We both explained that all of his things would be going with us (I bit my tongue when he held up the cheesy, cheap toy and asked if it was going too... and I simply said "yes."). We also told him that we hoped nothing would be lost and we would try our best not to lose things (except that cheesy, cheap toy!).
I don't know what Mr. Man told Spirit about food, but I told him "Look. I live for food. I live to eat (remember my jiggly butt... that is a result of all the food I eat!) and I will not ever let us go without food! Trust me on this one!"
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
awe... so sweet... poor thing! If i never move again, I will be happy. But alas', we are in a rental. We just hope we are allowed to renew 11-12 times before a rent hike! :)
Post a Comment