Friday, March 27, 2009

Snow = S'mores

Yesterday we had a blizzard and the schools were closed. When they closed the schools, however, there was hardly any snow on the ground yet, but the wind was blowing. So after breakfast I loaded up all the kids and we went to the store (where everyone else was too!). They were predicting quite a bit of snow and I thought I should load up on some food just in case.

I bought stuff to make Indoor S'mores which are basically a Honey Graham Cereal Bar. But they are so easy and so yummy. If you've never made them before, here is the recipe and I highly recommend them! I got the recipe off the side of the Honey Graham cereal box years and years ago.

Indoor S'mores
INGREDIENTS:
8 c (13-oz. box) graham cracker cereal
6 c (10.5-oz. bag) miniature marshmallows, divided (5 c to melt and 1 c to mix in later)
1 1/2 c (9 oz.) milk chocolate chips
5 Tbls butter or margarine
1/4 c light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Pour cereal into large bowl. Meanwhile, heat 5 cups marshmallows, chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup in medium, heavy-duty saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.

Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal in bowl; stir until well coated. Stir in remaining 1 cup of the marshmallows. Press mixture into prepared pan. Let cool until firm. Cut into bars.

MICROWAVE METHOD:Microwave 5 cups marshmallows, chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup in large, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 2 to 3 1/2 minutes, stirring every minute, until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Proceed as above.

14 comments:

Lianne said...

This sounds incredible! I just e-mailed it to a friend and my mom. You must be the most fun mom EVER!

sassy stephanie said...

Yummmm. I love smores.

Aubrey said...

Ok! This sounds yummy! I bet these went perfect dessert after your yummy cabbage burgers!

May I make a suggestion? I would love to see pictures of the finished product on your Recipe Fridays!

Tiffany said...

Okay, yeah, I'll have to eat these.
And I can not even believe that it is still snowing in some places. That's just crazy to me and something my head can't wrap around!

Anonymous said...

I agree, the photos would be an excellent addition to this posting. That is, unless you burnt them! :)

Sami Jo said...

Sounds so good! and good job doing the whole budget stuff! Doesn't it make you feel so good when do a good job shopping!!! Whole new high to life huh! Snow! Boo hoo!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I can't wait to try that recipe! I can't believe ya'll got snow!!

La Pixie said...

looks yummy! I just might try this... next weekend, since I am headed to Disneyland tonight!!

Meg said...

That sounds so good!

Crista said...

Thanks for the comment love, I love to see anti-O readers on my blog! I think you are the one I sent a recipe to snail mail, I saw your name and was like "I think that is my recipe swapper!" I hope you get my recipe soon in the mail!

Beth Cotell said...

These sound really good and perfect for a snow day!

Carrie said...

Ohhhhhhhh my diet would kill me if I made these! They're like rice krispie treats on steriods!! Yummmmmmm....

I may have to make them anyway. Otherwise, I might go INSANE thinking about them!!

Crista said...

I am such a dork, I forgot that I need to send you 3 or more recipes. I will get the other 2 out to you ASAP..thats what I get for not following the rules!

Crista said...

I am such a dork, I forgot that I need to send you 3 or more recipes. I will get the other 2 out to you ASAP..thats what I get for not following the rules!