Friday, March 13, 2009

Our St. Patrick's Day menu

For some St. Patrick's day fun here are a few of things I am planning:

BREAKFAST:
Green juice (if I can find some) or milk with green food coloring in it
Lucky Charm cereal (seems fitting doesn't it? And Heck I am sending them off to school what do I care if they load up on sugar! LOL)
I also bought each of them a green t-shirt to wear to school that they don't know about yet so I will give it to them at breakfast.

LUNCH:
Green grapes
Green apple
Celery
Green bell pepper and snow peas (with ranch for dipping)
Green fruit roll up
Then I am going to use a shamrock cookie cutter to cut their sandwich.

DINNER:
I have never made corned beef brisket, but my sister tells me it is easy so I am going to give that a shot with some potatoes. Nothing too fancy there. I am just hoping I don't mess up the beef and we end having to eat pizza or something! LOL Maybe we'll have more green juice or green milk with dinner too.
(For my brisket I am going to buy a corned beef brisket with the prepackaged spices and place mine in a slow cooker with potatoes and some carrots and cook on low just like I do my regular roast. Anybody have any better ideas for me?)

What are some things you do for special St. Patrick's Day fun?

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Just my two cents, but I would NOT put your veggies in with your beef. Cook them seperately. The beef is nearly submerged while it's cooking and your veggies will waterlog!

I make corned beef quite a bit and the trick to moist and succulent CB is to have sufficient water so it braises. I do mine in the crockpot and just follow the directions and use the spices from the meat package, except in the crockpot.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

OK-Hold off on that corned beef!!!!
I have THE recipe for corned beef-and I know no matter what it is up against-mine always wins a taste test!!!
(I am posting it on MOnday-but here is a heads up:
Corned
Beef
Spicy Mustard
Brown sugar..a lot
Boil, then bake...the mustard and sugar carmalize and becomes gooey-all my kids eat it right up-sooo good!
Check out my recipe on Monday for the exact recipe-but if you make it, tell me what you think!!!

Meg said...

I'm going to dye my beer green that I'm going to enjoy at home once the little man falls asleep.

I also bought green juice today. Green sparkly hats and necklaces.

We also painted blarney stones last week.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Ooh...definitely add some cabbage to your menu. My father always used to throw the brisket, wedges of cabbage (a head cut into 1/8ths?) and red potatoes into a HUGE pot and boil them until everything is done. Separate the veg from the meat for the serving, and make sure to top it all off with a dallop of sour cream. Om nom nom!

sassy stephanie said...

We are out for Spring Break next week...and I'm SO copying you!

Lianne said...

You rock as a mom. Will you be my mom on St. Patrick's Day? :)

Dina said...

its really easy..i have found like carrie says it gets waterlogged and to me kinda slimy since there is so much fat in the meat. i used to crockpot and discovered following the recipe to bake it that comes on the package is my favorite way to do it. i find baking it makes it moist but a little drier than the crockpot and i tend to like it that way.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from SITS to say hi! St. Patrick's Day in your house sounds like a blast and I'm sure the corned beef will be delicious!

La Pixie said...

aww, those are cute ideas. maybe I will try to sneak Sweetheart a green lunch!!

I have a green "I am loved" pin that Im gonna wear. other than that and having a Midori Sour, I dont really celebrate.

Debbie said...

Wow. I feel very inadequate. We don't do anything special. But, you have inspired me:)