Saturday, May 23, 2009

Homemade Dog Treats

I am all about homemade foods for the health and cost factors, but being a mom who works full time outside the home there are just some things that are worth paying a little extra for to save me the time. My time with family can be so short as it is that if I try to make everything from scratch I would never get to spend time with my family nor would I sleep!

Having said that though, when I can, what I can and where I can -I will choose homemade over store bought! Often times I will make homemade sandwich bread, we make our own salsa (ok, Mr. Man makes the salsa, but I help!), we canned corn last year, we made applesauce last fall and canned it, but one thing I said I would NEVER do.... make dog food or dog treats! That is just plain EW! But, the other day I noticed our dog was almost out of doggie treats and I thought to myself, "Self. I bet you can make some dog treats." I Googled "Dog Treat Recipes" and got a slew of options. I found one that listed ingredients that I already had at home (wheat flour, oats, milk, etc.) and got busy. This recipe was so easy and took no time at all to prepare. The longest part of it is the baking time.

I found the recipe here -soooo, if anyone is in need of a doggie treat recipe, I recommend this one. As far as taste goes however, I can not vouch for that, but our little pooch gobbles 'em up so they can't be that bad. Although, come to think of it she also likes goose poop -- hmmmm.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe - Boo's Biscuits
INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 c Quaker oats (I used store brand quick-cook oats)
1 c milk
1/2 c hot water
2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 c meat drippings

Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water. Add milk and drippings and beat together. In a separate bowl, mix flour and oats. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. Press onto an ungreased cookie sheet and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off heat and leave in the oven to harden. Refrigerate after baking.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I've wanted to make homemade dog treats for a long time.

But then I decided I'm too lazy.

" )

United Studies said...

Funny thing, I have been seeing more and more recipes for homemade dog treats. I understand that, given the tainted dog food scare and all.