Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Note from Principal

As the weather started getting colder we pulled out the winter coats. It turned out that with hand-me-downs Spirit had 3 coats that fit him. Good news ya think, right? Wrong. Within 2 weeks he had lost one coat. It wasn't in the lost and found at school, it wasn't at home. No.where.to.be.found. Pretty soon he lost another coat and then he lost the third. I went to the school looking for them (or at least hoping to find ONE!) with no luck. We searched the cars, the house, the crawl space, the garage. Everywhere! Couldn't find them. So Spirit was left to layer up with sweatshirts. Then the most embarrassing thing happened! Just before the holiday break we received a note home from the Principal saying Spirit needed to wear a warm coat to school. Here is a small part of the letter:

"A hoody is not warm enough for the frigid temperatures
we are experiencing. Please send a warmer coat to school with your child."
The letter was short, but it went on and on about the weather and how the kids need to be warm and how they still go outside even though it is cold. Blah blah blah (I am kidding!)
Mr. Man and I searched for a coat to give Spirit for Christmas. I knew that wouldn't be the most impressive gift, but in this economy I was thinking practical! Well, we couldn't really find one we liked in his size. We decided to hit the after Christmas sales and get him one then. Still nothing.
But, the other day Mr. Man was out running errands with the boys and he found a nice warm coat for a reasonable price and it was in Spirit's size. Rock on! Right? Nope. As they are driving home Spirit tells his dad "Now I have four coats!"
Yep, turns out that he found the other 3 coats!! Really? Really. Apparently 2 were at school and 1 was at a friend's house. Yep. They are all back home thrown in the closet like usual.
Ugh.
So we returned the coat - which highly disappointed Spirit but oh well!
THEN this morning as he is leaving the house, it is very cold and very windy today he puts on a
hoody. All I had to say was "A hoody is not warm enough for the frigid temperatures
we are experiencing." and he smiled and grabbed ONE of his winter coats to wear.

8 comments:

Reeni said...

I came over from SITS to say hi! You were the comment above me this morning. I'm glad Spirit found all of his coats! If the principal only knew that he in actuality had not just one but three coats...

Misty said...

oh my goodness... hilarious! Genny went through a phase of losing shoes. One school year we went through 11 pairs of shoes. She could never find the mates... Don't ask me how.

La Pixie said...

LOL, thats awesome. I used to do that to my mom when I was a kid. I still manage to lose my clothes!

Mary H. said...

How funny!! Spirit sounds like his name fits him perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when the school thinks you aren't being a good parent when you had not only one but three coats for the kid? Who just happened to have trouble keeping track of them?

Glad they were all found! My son used to lose his stuff all the time. I love people who tell me I should really put mittens on my dd. Umm, yeah, she has them and she's two, do you really think she'll consent to wear them? ;)

United Studies said...

Emma went through this phase where for some reason she would just scatter shoes across the house, so it would take us forever to find a matching pair. It would irritate me!

Getting a letter like that would so embarrass me! And make me feel like a kid getting scolded by their parents.

Damus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damus said...

Well...I just posted my comment under hubby's blog id. LOL Oh well! You got a new "follower" today!