Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My baby is in Kindergarten

I dropped off little Lady Bug at school for her first day of Kindergarten. She was SO ready! She marched in with her back pack and as we stood outside she kept asking me when she could go to her classroom. As we walked closer towards the classroom after the school bell rang, she looked a little nervous, but she never cried or anything.

The teacher had all the kids sit on the carpet square. Then she talked a little bit about attendance and calling a student in absent and a few of her classroom rules. Then she asked all of us parents to go to the cafeteria for "Kleenex & Coffee". {which is funny because I started this event last year and also coordinated it again this year}.

Kleenex & Coffee is a nice event because parents can go have a cup of coffee (Thanks to Starbucks for their help with that donation!) and grab a donut (thanks to our local grocery store for help with the 6 dozen donuts!). We have some of the district "mental health" staff available to talk to parents and help them with this momentous time in their lives. I noticed lots of mommas crying (and even a couple dads too). The parents can ask general questions (so many of them don't understand where to pick up their child, or even what time school lets out, some had questions about lunch time and the before/after school program) so there are a few staff members available. It is a really nice event and I am pleased to be coordinating and hosting it each year. I plan to do it again next year as well, and the year after that and the next year too!

Because I was hosting this event I didn't really cry that much until after I was driving away from the school, then I had a melt down! I also got weepy over my lunch hour talking with some friends about it. Lady Bug just doesn't seem big enough to be heading off to kindergarten, but I guess she is!

This momma is watching the clock for when I get to go get the kids from school, and especially can't wait to hear about Lady Bug's first day!

1 comment:

Steph said...

So how was her first day?