Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Recipe - Carrot slaw with a twist

I always disliked carrot slaw (sometimes called carrot raisin salad) until my aunt made it for a party several years ago. It was SO yummy. I asked how she made it and she said she put in some granny smith apple. Ever since then, I make mine this way. Recently, I saw a magazine recipe that added jicama to carrot salad. I used my regular recipe and then added in some jicama - It is so yummy!

Carrot Slaw
INGREDIENTS:
3 T lemon juice
3 T mayonnaise
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 lrg carrots, peeled and shredded (about 3 cups)
1 lrg Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and shredded (about 1 cup)
1/3 c dark raisins
1/2 lb jicama, peeled and shredded

Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate until chilled.

** You can make this lower in calories by using low-fat mayo.**

1 comment:

Sami Jo said...

I totally love Carrot Salad and how refreshing to change it up with a little Granny Smith Apple! Good Call!