Friday, January 11, 2008

Waffles

With my new waffle maker I got for Christmas I have been trying several waffle recipes and this is one we like the best. It is a little crispy on the outside and soft in the center. According to the recipe book, if use reduced fat sour cream and 1% milk one waffle will only cost 274 calories.

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 c flour
2 1/2 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, separated
2 c sour cream
1 c milk
1/4 c butter, melted

Preheat waffle iron. Into a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks, sour cream and milk with a mixer on high. Stir into dry ingredients. Add butter. In a clean bowl, with clean beaters and the electric mixer on high, beat the egg white until stiff but not dry. Using a wire whisk, fold into the flour mixture just until the whites disappear. Bake the waffles according to the waffle iron manufacturer's directions. If the batter becomes too thick, add a little more milk.

For Blueberry Waffles: Prepare as above, folding 1 c washed, fresh blueberries and 1 tsp vanilla extract into batter just before folding in egg whites.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Washed fresh blueberries? Won't the blueberries be kind of big?

Annikke said...

I guess here in Colorado the fresh ones aren't that big...LOL. I made these last Sunday with fresh blueberries and the berries didn't seem to be overwhelming in the cooked waffles, I guess you could mash them or something if they were too big???

Beth Cotell said...

Yum! These sound delicious!

jennwa said...

That sounds great I am always looking for good low cal. recipes. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I will try this. It's got to be better (healthier) than Bisquik.

Steph said...

I used to make homemade waffles all the time. I'll have to try this recipe next time I drag out the 'ol waffle iron.