Thursday, January 21, 2010

Big scare

I got a call from Spirit's teacher yesterday morning that he was coughing pretty bad. I have this thing that the school and teachers tend to be more cautious and so I was skeptical that he really needed to go home (not to mention Spirit can be pretty dramatic and sometimes borderlines on being hypochondriac). I asked her to send him to the nurse to check for a fever. The nurse calls back a few minutes later and says he does not have a fever but her opinion was that he really needed to go home and even be seen by a doctor. Again, I was skeptical.

I finished up a couple projects at work and then stopped off to talk to a friend who works on a different floor in my building. Finally, I headed to the school. I called the pediatrician on my way to the school and explained what the nurse told me. The ped's office told me I could just take him home, get him some rest and warm fluids.

I get to the school and Spirit was in the nurse's office. He was a little white and I could tell he really didn't feel well. I start driving home with him in the front seat next to me. He reached over and grabbed my arm. He was gasping for air! I tried not to freak out, but it freaked me out!!!!!

I called back the ped's office and I start explaining the situation and the nurse there said "I can hear him gasping and wheezing can put him on the phone?" I held the phone to his ear (all the while still driving, heading towards the ped's office) and I heard her say "How old are you?" and then after he answered she asked him if he was having trouble breathing and he could hardly speak. Then she said "give the phone back to your mom." She asked me if I was closer to their office or the ER? I said closer to her, so we rushed over there.

They did some breathing treatments and tests. Turns out he just has croup. They told me that croup is usually associated with infants but older children CAN get it especially if they had it as a baby and Spirit did (that was another scary day and could be a whole post in itself involving a young baby gasping in the middle of the night and Mr. Man losing his wallet with a bunch of cash in it at the ER...)

Anyway we are home with vaporizer and had a pretty good night. He has a breathing treatment I need to do with him today but he has color back and I can tell he feels better!

AND now Lefty has a cough, runny nose and a slight fever... UGH!

All of us are home taking it easy today. Good times.

2 comments:

Ruby Red Slippers said...

You had my heart pounding as I was reading this...I have been in your shoes (with my littlest one-) and that is very, very scary!
I will pray for you all that God will keep you all healthy, and that Spirit heals up without any more trips to the ER!

Misty said...

oh my goodness!!! bless your heart. Horrible... Scary!