Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 2

Here it is December 2nd - I want to say "Here it is December 2nd already!" because I am starting to feel the pressure to get all the Christmas stuff done.

Mr. Man had a week of vacation that the company decided they weren't going to allow him to roll over into next year. Ever since he has worked for them, any vacation, sick or personal time left on December 31 they allowed employees to roll over into the following year. That policy changed this past summer. So he had 5 days left to use this year (none of the rest of us were able to take any time with him, but that's ok) and he is home all this week.

The good news is that he got some Christmas shopping done for me - well not for me, but things I wanted to buy the kiddos! He got all the house decorations done. He made homemade salsa - twice! Now he is taking an overnight trip to a condo in the mountains with a buddy of his. Should be a nice time. Short trip, but just a little get away for him!

The kids and I plan to watch a movie or two and just hang out. We still have school/work to tend to so it won't be all that exciting for us! I plan to work on some more Christmas crafts/gifts. Hopefully be done soon! I am enjoying all of it!

I really wanted to make my own advent calendar this year... ummm, I soooo did not get to it so I guess I will move that to next years list! I did make these pocket advent calendars for a couple friends - they turned out cute and were pretty easy to make! I thought they would be fun for the kids, but they don't sell "kid-friendly" gum (kid flavors) in a 12-piece pack. Oh well. My friends enjoyed them anyway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FRUSTRATIONS:
I have talked about a neighbor kid, "J", that can be difficult. He is older than my children, but he is on the immature side. This is the kid that broke a sentimental wagon of ours. Anywhoooo, this past weekend the boys were outside playing with him in the front yard. Pretty soon they came in telling me that J had to go in and do homework for an hour, but that his mom said they could come back in an hour to play again.

When they went back an hour later, unbeknownst to me or to Mr. Man, they took money with them. Spirit paid J $2 for a spiral notebook, granted it was just about new, but still. Spirit also paid $3 along with Lefty another $3, so J got $6. What for you ask? Good question. Neither my husband or I knew about the money until yesterday afternoon. They were again playing out front with J and they told Mr. Man that J was being mean. So Mr. Man went out to see what was going on. They told him they paid J $6 and they didn't understand what for. When J was given the opportunity to explain, he told Mr. Man that he took their money and he was going to show them how he plays his Wii. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Mr. Man told him friends don't charge friends to let them watch a video game. Then J told him that he was going to teach them how to play. Again, Mr. Man explained that friends don't charge each other for things like that and asked why he hasn't showed them anything yet then? J had the nerve to say "that deal was for one day only." Mr. Man was a lot calmer than I would have been, and he said he thought J should give our boys their money back. J took off running. We explained to our boys that #1-they shouldn't spend money without talking to us first and #2-don't pay friends for things like that. Friends shouldn't charge each other to teach or share, etc. Friends should want to help each other out with whatever and however they can.

I am pretty sure we won't see that money. Ever. And I hope the kids learned a lesson. I feel bad for my kids, but at the same time I am FUMING mad at neighbor J!!!

3 comments:

Misty said...

man, that kid is trouble...

So sweet of your husband to shop and decorate and salsa make! :)

United Studies said...

Yes, I agree with Misty. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up in jail as an adult for extortion!

Tabitha Blue said...

Sometimes it's nice when the guys are home to take care of some things!! And wow, I would be frustrated with that neighbor kid too. It was a good opportunity to teach your kids, and hopefully they won't want to hang out with him much anymore...

:)