Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday Recipe - Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies

These are a Christmas tradition in my family. They are one of my favorite cookies! (Notice I said ONE... I have lots of favorites!)

Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies
INGREDIENTS:
2/3 c. shortening
2/3 c. butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cocoa
1 c. nuts, finely ground

Mix shortening, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla thoroughly. Stir in remaining ingredients. Turn onto lightly floured board. Shape dough into ball with lightly floured hands, pressing dough into compactness. Cut dough in half. Shape each half into roll 2" by 8". Roll dough onto wax paper, twist ends tightly and place in refrigerator. Cut into 1/4" slices and bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Makes about 90 cookies. Can be refrigerated up to 1 month or frozen up to 3 months.


I like to frost mine after they are cooled. I usually make a simple vanilla frosting, but store bought frosting would work too.

Butter Frosting
INGREDIENTS:
1/3 c unsalted butter, softened
4 1/2 c sifted, powdered sugar
1/4 c milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt

In a bowl beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well.

Slowly,
beat in the milk, vanilla and the dash of salt. Slowly beat in remaining sugar. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to make it a nice spreading consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.

No comments: