I am just not sure yet. I'll let you know when I figure it out, but in the meantime let me share with you what is going on that is making me ponder that question:
About 2 or 3 weeks ago my boss called me into his office. Asked me to shut the door so we could talk. *eek. knees were shaking and my heart was beating a little faster than normal.* He wanted to let me know he would be applying for a judgeship position that opened up at the local court (remember I work for an attorney). He went on to say that if he were to get the job he would start in January.
Well, isn't that just hunky-dory. *eyes rolling*
He needed some help submitting the application so I helped with that. Which was a little awkward. Now we are in the "waiting game". The court is accepting applications until August 6th. So at best we are looking at end of August or September to know whether or not he is even in the running. The applications are reviewed and then a small number of applicants are "nominated" to a committee to then interview those nominees.
Today, I overheard him on the phone with his wife "Guess what honey? Two more judge positions opened up in the court I already applied with! Which is great news! That increases my chances of getting one of judge positions!"
Yea. Great news. For HIM, but certainly not for me I don't think? What do you think?
So then he goes on to tell his wife that the guy making the nominations for who should be interviewed is a good friend of another attorney my boss is close with. And more "good news"-- this other attorney is having a party tonight and the guy making the nominations will be there! Isn't that exciting?
I gotta say, NO. That isn't very exciting for me.
So my boss will be attending a party tonight to schmooze the guy making nominations for applicants to be interviewed for one of three judge positions.
Yippee.
The only one small silver lining here is that the two newest openings won't be nominated until November making the job start later next year.
That might be helpful for me, but who knows?
I have been exploring my options in case I need to find a job quickly. *sigh*
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Is there any chance he could take you with him? Won't he need help as a judge? It would seem to me he would need several assistants/paralegals, etc.
That is a pretty common question I get.... and yes he could take me with him, but generally speaking the judge who left is also leaving behind a staff of assistants, law clerks, paralegals, research assistants, etc. SO typically the "new" judge keeps the "old judges" staff. It is rare that a "new" judge will go in and fire all the "old" staff, so chances of me being able to go with him is slim. I have looked at jobs in the courts though and if it starts looking like I need to find a new job then I have some connections in the court and could possibly get hired on that way. We'll have to see. But I am still nervous.
Oh wow... and I was going to ask the same questions... but read through your comments first. I would do the same thing, start peeking around. I hope it works out well for you, and I'm sure with him involving you in this stage, he's planning on helping you out somehow. :)
~Tabitha
It sounds like there is a good trust/relationship between the two of you if you are helping him with his application. Be up front with him and ask where you fit into his plans. I know it is not always a sure-fire thing but that is a long time to be worrying over this. Put this in God's hands and He will not let you down.
Post a Comment