I met a man 12 or 13 years ago who I thought was such a genuine and sincere man. He was extremely down to earth and such a gentle person. He was the preacher at the church I was attending at that time. I soon met his son and would later marry his son. Today my father-in-law turns 80. He is just as genuine today as he was that day.
Over the years I have heard stories of when he was young and growing up. I have heard stories of how he worked with his dad at the gas station. I have heard stories of how he drove 130 miles from his small home town so he could preach and then driving the 130 miles back home again. I have heard numerous times the story about the day he married my mother-in-law almost 60 years ago, how he had preached that day and on his way home he stopped at a dime store and bought her a bible, which she carried down the aisle with her (and which ultimately her 4 daughters, her grandchildren and myself all carried with us as well on our wedding day). I have heard about what a good father he was to his 4 daughters and 1 son. I have heard about what a hard worker he was when the kids were growing up. I have heard of the countless Sunday morning phone calls he made to pray with his son who had moved miles away. I have watched this man in prayer, no doubt praying for his family and seeking God's guidance. I have watched him hug his wife, as I am sure he does every day, with such love for her and only her. I have watched him teach at the bible college he started some 40 years ago and watched the men he has taught go off to become and do great things.
One story I have heard over and over was when the family had gone out on a lake and the boat engine wouldn't start. Instead of working on the engine, he turned to his wife and children and said "Let's have family devotions." He pulled out his Bible to read to them. My husband remembers thinking "READ the Bible?? ummmm, dad we are on a lake. Way out here. No boat engine." He knows now that his dad knew the boat engine had a better chance of starting if it sat for a moment, but the kids didn't know that and they were petrified!
This man has raised 5 great children who all have gone off and are doing amazing things in this world. Each child is married to a great person and has had children of their own making this man a grandpa 18 times. Those grandkids are having kids of their own making this man a great-grandpa 22 times so far. There are preachers, police officers, pilots, contractors, teachers, funeral directors, paralegals, and the list goes on. That is quite the legacy this man has!
I am now married to this man's one and only son who is the greatest husband and father to our children. From the things my husband tells me he had the perfect role model watching his dad be a wonderful father to his family and an equally wonderful husband to my mother in law.
Happy Birthday to a great man. A man who, despite whether or not everyone agrees with his every belief, has lived his convictions and beliefs to the fullest. You are an inspiration to many and have a great legacy behind you. So, not just today, but each and every day I want you to know you are loved, you are thought of and I don't think that I could have asked for a better father in law!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
What a tribute! Happy birthday to this great man-who raised a great man!
Wow...that a wonderful tribute to your father-in-law!!! Happy Birthday to him!!!!
You did an amazing job in writing this tribute and in depicting the life that Don and Gerry have lived and all the many lives they have influenced. I too, am so very thankful for the influence Don and Gerry have been in my life and my family's lives. Don is a wonderful man that I am so happy to know. "Happy Birthday Don!" We love you!
Thanks Annikke for the wonderful things you said about my good husband. He is the best! I love him dearly. You're a special daughter in law too!!!!! My favorite one. :} Love you dearly. Gerry
Nikke - That is the sweetest story! And very well written! You made my eyes get wet! Thank you so much for sharing. I love you and am glad you are a part of our family!
Wow! What a wonderful tribute. You have a way with words and made it very easy reading and wanting more.
Post a Comment