Today was field day for the boys. When I was a kid there was competition and someone would win 1st place, someone else 2nd place, someone else 3rd place and then there was the rest of us (yes, I was the "us". I never won! Coordination is not and never has been my thing!)
Now a days though, everyone is a winner. Which I suppose is better in some ways, but what is the point of having Field Day then?
The kids appeared to have a blast though! There were 20 "stations" and each kid had a score card kind of thing and at each station they were given the score. For instance, my station was the beach ball toss. They had a partner and they tossed the balls to each other. They got a score for the number of times they caught the ball without dropping it. After completing the 20 stations they could go back to their favorite ones and do those again.
It cracks me up when kids come running over to me "Hey I know you!" and they really do know who I am, but I have absolutely no clue who they are! The littler kids, Kindergarten and 1st grade, were the funnest ones to watch and almost all the girls, no matter what grade, would just giggle and giggle at each other!
For the kindergartners, they assign one adult to 5, 6 or 7 kids to take them to each station. Since those kids have never done it before it gives them a little confidence and it also helps from the kids wandering off where they shouldn't be. Well anyway, I experienced some serious kindergartner drama! This little group of 4 kindergartners (3 boys and 1 girl) came to the beach ball toss and when they were finished they started to head off, but the little girl burst into tears and was telling me how those boys were not following the rules and on and on she went about all the horrible things they were saying and doing (which I could only grasp about every other word out of her mouth!) It turns out that they didn't have enough parent volunteers to walk with these 4 kids and the teacher trusted they would do fine on their own and instructed them to stay together. Apparently those boys kept ditching this little girl and she was terribly upset. I sure didn't blame her! She was ready to march off and "tell my teacher", I got her calmed down and had a strong talk with the boys, hopefully it all worked out for her!
Overall, I had a super fun time and can't wait to volunteer to do it again next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OMgosh. Why didn't they just split the group up and merge with others? That could have been a major nightmare.
Hi there.
Been there. I can relate.
I'm stopping by via SITS to say hello.
I am SO not into field day...I seem to always get the water ballons station, and get wet. Yuck!
Tomorrow, I have a field trip to a farm. I am only doing this under protest...It is too hot to smell stinky animal poo-
but I go because I love my boys...:)
Post a Comment