My kids like fruit and we eat a lot of it in our house. I bought some pre-packaged fruit cups for their school lunch and the kids liked them, with one exception - they said they were hard for them to open and when they finally got them open the fruit juice splattered all over them. So I just started cutting up fresh fruit and putting it into small plastic containers, but this takes up so much time everyday. I started playing around with making a bunch of these cups at one time and thanks to the internet got some tips for saving these!
One small watermelon cut up and stored in these containers in the freezer lasted my 3 kiddos about 3 weeks.
Homemade Fruit Cups
-small plastic containers
-Fruit of your choice (Watermelon, other melons, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, etc. - I don't recommend bananas though)
Cut up your fruit and put some in the small plastic container. I put a small piece of masking tape to label what kind of fruit is in each cup. Then place these in the freezer to keep them from spoiling before you are ready to use.
You will want to pull one out the day before you are ready to use it. You can let it still on the counter to thaw. We pack one cup per child or sometimes they like to eat these on the weekends as a snack. They are really handy and not near as expensive as the pre-packaged ones.
This is what Works For Me - click here for more tips and tricks. We Are That Family hosts this great tips and tricks each week!
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
great idea! I have never frozen watermelon (can't wait to try it!) but have had great luck with blueberries, strawberries, and lots of other fruits. But this fruit cup idea is great!
Great idea! Plus this way you don't have to worry about all of the added sugar in regular fruit cups. Thanks for sharing!
Perfect!! What a great idea. Thanks for the tip.
:)
~Tabitha
This is a great, great idea!!! I WILL be doing this-
Perfect for summer!!!
Post a Comment