Friday, December 28, 2007

Cheesy Potato Topped Meatloaf

Today, as I try to do every Friday, I am posting one of our favorite recipes, BUT today I also am looking for a really yummy vegetable soup recipe if anyone has one. I have tried several and they lack something. My BIL makes one that my husband says is "to die for", but my dear BIL won't share his recipe with me. :o( I would love to have your ideas if anyone has one!

CHEESY POTATO TOPPED MEATLOAF:

INGREDIENTS FOR MEATLOAF:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1/3 c saltine cracker crumbs
1 egg slightly beaten
3 Tbls milk
1 Tbls chili powder
3/4 tsp salt

INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO TOPPING:
5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
milk
1/4 c sour cream
1 Tbls butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (11 oz) whole kernel sweet corn, drain juices
1 c mexican (sometimes called nacho flavored) shredded cheese

Boil water and put potatoes in. Boil until soft.

While potatoes are boiling start to mix meatloaf. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with hands. Gently press mixture into the bottom of a 9" square baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear. Carefully pour off juices and grease from top.

When potatoes are cooked, remove from heat and drain. Add sour cream and butter. Begin mashing potatoes either with a potato masher or a mixing beater. Add milk to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to desired taste. Add corn and cheese and mix well. Spread potato mixture over the top of the meatloaf, make sure to cover edges. Sprinkle with a little bit of cheese and broil 3-4 inches from heat for 5 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds delicious! I'll have to try it! I'll probably use instant potatoes, though... Hope you don't mind.

By the way, you've been awarded "bling" over on my blog. Come check it out!

Annikke said...

Instant mashed taters work too (my husband happens to detest them although I love them!)

Annikke said...

OH and I forgot to mention that I have used instant mashed with this recipe when Mr. Man wasn't home and you will need about 3 c prepared potatoes.

Unknown said...

Yummy! This is a new one I've never heard of. Thanks!

Steph said...

I'm in! Your Taco Soup was a hit!!! I made it again last night for a family birthday party for my mom and dad..."my" new signature dish!!!

Misty said...

this sounds amazing!