Thursday, March 10, 2011

We did it...

We did it... we agreed to another year commitment to the PTCO (Parent Teacher Community Organization) at the kids' school!

Mr. Man has served has co-president for the last 2 years and will continue in that capacity next school year. I have not had a title in the years past, just been involved at meetings and organizing events, etc., but next school year I will be secretary for the PTCO! I am actually quite excited about this!!

Our current principal has been a thorn in the PTCO's side for quite some time. She is friendly and all that, but every idea someone would have - if it was not something she wanted to do or was something that had never been tried then she would squash the idea immediately. It has actually been frustrating and parents didn't want to get involved anymore. There were several PTCO meetings that we would have a vote of parents regarding certain events (like how much to charge at the door or should we do a can drive, etc.) and parents would vote and yet the principal would do it the way she wanted to anyway REGARDLESS of how the parents voted. This really irritated me and other parents and lots of parents just stopped coming to vote.

BUT our principal is going to a different school next year, the district moved her. I had been praying that something would change for next year (lots of reasons, not just problems with PTCO) and my prayers were answered! We do not yet know who the new principal will be but I am confident it will be a good change for the school.

I am confident the PTCO will be able to accomplish so much more next school year! It is exciting!

2 comments:

Misty said...

So, I guess this means you guys came to a place you feel really good about- all things considered? AWESOME! (i feel like we haven't chatted in ages...*sigh*)

Tabitha Blue said...

Great Job. I think parents involvement with kids and school is crucial.