Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Really?

I may be callous but the show Bachelor or Bachelorette really disgusts me. I watched that show, I admit, the first few seasons. Then I started really looking at - analyzing it I guess you could say. I listen to the Bachelor or Bachelorette, whatever the case may be, carry on about these 12 (or more) girls/guys that "I am really falling in love with".... isn't true love with ONE person? How can you be "in love" with all those different ones at the same time? I realize there are varying shades of love, like I love my brother, but not in the same way I love my husband. But it appears that these people are describing the love you have for a spouse. That just doesn't seem right.

Then I get equally as annoyed by the ones who aren't chosen - "I had so many feelings for him/her and I just don't know why I wasn't picked?" This is a competition. Is this REALLY how you want to meet your spouse? You competed amongst a bunch of other girls/guys and just happened to be the last one standing after 6 weeks. SIX WEEKS people!!! Six weeks is not nearly long enough to really get to know someone. I knew of my now husband probably 6 weeks before he ever asked me out on an official date! I am sure there are exceptions to this rule, but those exceptions probably don't involve a large group of other potential mates you are fighting against!

Then there is the one who gets chosen, how many of them have gone on to say how hard it was to watch the taped shows and see how their bachelor/bachelorette treated the other potentials on the show and how hurt they were to watch them passionately kiss someone else. I am not sure what they expect?

I guess I am disgusted that the men and women go on this show and degrade themselves down to a level that is so wrong. I don't know any of them individually but surely they are better than that. Out of the last 13 or 14 seasons only 3 couples remain together - this should tell you something.

I feel bad that these people have such little self esteem that they would attempt a show  like this.

I am sure I will offend people with this post, but I was so bothered when I got online and saw all the talk about it I had to post this.

6 comments:

Ruby Red Slippers said...

SO not offended!
I agree-I am a hopeless romantic-and this is NOT a show I watch!
Ditto to everything you say-I find them repetitive, and shallow.
:)

Rachel said...

I couldn't agree more! Its a show that is intriguing to me at times that I'll admit to having watched it before, but it truly makes me sad. I feel like we as women already compete in our own head with magazine covers and supermodels, why would you willing put yourself in that situation? Ick. Wondeful insight!

Misty said...

HATE HATE HATE these shows! Hate them. horrible... I agree with you one hundred percent!

Unknown said...

When they don't respect themselves, men and women, how can they expect us to respect them. So sad people. Why would I even lower myself to be on a show like that? Why would I want a man who has just been all over 24 other women. Disgusting - Totally disgusting!!!!

Beth Cotell said...

I love reality shows but I have never watched this one. It all just seems very icky to me!

Tabitha Blue said...

Has it moments. Haven't watched in a few seasons.

:)
~Tabitha