My husband had to work on Father's Day (boo hoo) but I got up and made him a breakfast he could take with him to work and then had a special dinner waiting for him when he got home. We were rushing around to eat because we needed to head out early to go meet his father so I didn't have time to take ANY pictures, but does that really matter, probably not because I am horrible about posting pictures anyway!
So for breakfast I made him a breakfast bowl which is layered hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs and topped with cheese, served with salsa and a tortilla on the side.
For dinner I set the table with my good china and folded his napkin like this. We had Chicken, Roasted Lemon Broccoli, rolls and mashed potatoes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some thoughts on fathering, father's day....
My father and I were pretty close growing up, then as I got older (and he did as well) we grew apart. When I got married and started having kids I think he felt pushed out of my life (he wasn't. I tried and tried to include him and he just wouldn't participate in our lives.) so we drifted further apart. It has gotten to the point of me saying to myself that I am not trying anymore. This has been about 5-6 years now.
One of the major breaking points in my life was after I delivered a still born and called him he was drunk and was saying some of the most obnoxious comments. Things I would NEVER think to say to someone grieving the loss of a human life.
One year, about 6 years ago, he was supposed to come for Thanksgiving, as he had done every year since I moved out of the house. The morning of, he called to cancel saying he was sick. I respected that. We had already started the turkey cooking and decided we would load up a plate of food when it was ready and drive the 3 hours to my dad's house to surprise him. When we got there... he was not. He lives in a small town so we drove around and found him. He was leaving his girlfriend's house. I did not meet her. He later told me she was younger than me and had a 2 year old son. WHAT? Anyway.... he was not sick (actually he was a little sick, but not terrible, obviously), he just went to a girlfriends house. That hurt.
Little things like he won't return my phone calls and then when I keep trying and trying and finally reach him he says things like "About time you called."....... what is that supposed to mean?
I just today stuck his Father's Day card in the mail. I have no respect for him and I don't care about our relationship anymore.
Seems weird to think that "daddy's little girl" doesn't care anymore.
ON A HAPPIER NOTE:
The love my husband has for his children is amazing. We were not planning to have children when we got pregnant with our first baby 9 years ago (in fact we fall in that small 1% who get pregnant even when taking birth control...!) so the day my water broke and we went to the hospital to have our first little guy, my husband was as nervous as ever (so was I for that matter), but the second the baby was born I could tell my husband was in love! He carried him and carried him... I honestly don't think he put Spirit down the whole time we were in the hospital. I remember the nurses came to take Spirit to the nursery to do tests (or whatever it was) and Mr. Man toted along right beside them and went into the nursery watching everything they did. He was the same with all the kids. His love is so great and he would give them the world! Makes me wonder if he will ever "lose touch" with his kids like I have lost touch with my dad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I completely understand this. though I was never daddy's girl (i met my dad when I was 17) It's been so bizarre to me to watch how he has lied to me, and just been cruel or careless while also seeing that his children (whom he raised) love and adore him and feel that he is an amazing father. It's something I've really struggled with. The same as you, how can a great dad who loves his daughter become what yours has? How can a father like mine treat me the way he does, and his other children so completely opposite?
We are blessed to parent with such amazing men.
Post a Comment