Monday, August 31, 2009

Discontentment

Now that the kids are a little older I have come to accept that my routines are changing (if you can call 8, 7 and 4 years old, "older") . In case I have mentioned it before, I am a compulsive list maker and love my routines. My husband, on the other hand, could care less about schedules and routines. Even though he has to be to work at 8:00 am do you think he gets up about the same time everyday? Nope. Does he take a shower about the same time every day? Nope. Does he eat breakfast regularly? Nope.

So, each morning, I get up about the same time: 5:30 (this is so I can have some "mommy-time" before everyone else gets up). I go about MY routine while I watch my husband have his routine, which is not routine at all and changes from day to day! Some days he will get up, grab a bite to eat, then take a shower. Another day he may sleep later, jump up and into the shower immediately and skip breakfast. I tend to do things in basically the same order, get up, make coffee, have mommy-time, make lunches, unload dishwasher, make breakfast, clean up kitchen, then shower and get ready for work.

When the kids were younger and not in school, even though I still worked full time outside the home, our routine was different. A friend of ours watched the kids in her home from the time Spirit was about 9 months all the way until Lady Bug was about 6 months old. (The friend decided she wanted to purchase a home which would have been about an hour and a half drive the opposite direction of my work so we had to part ways) Then we went to another home daycare briefly before a friend of ours asked if she could watch the kids at our house. My point of sharing this is that the routines were just different, simpler in a way. Now it is hustle bustle all the time.

Now that the boys are in school and Lady Bug is in preschool the routines are as different as they ever have been. Last year Spirit only had to turn in the weekly homework once a week (Friday), this year it gets turned in daily. Last year Lefty had very little homework, this year it is nightly and gets turned in once a week. Lady Bug even has homework (yes, people they give it to 'em in preschool now!) but she only gets it once a week and has all week to complete it. Mr. Man has been busier this school year so far and basically he is up and out the door before the kiddos are up and about, which means I am on my own for getting everyone ready and getting everyone to school on time.

However, at the start of each new school year, I find myself discontent in areas of my life. This year I am discontent with my bedroom furniture, discontent with my bathroom walls, discontent with my living room walls and then discontent with what has become of my "mommy-time".

So, I recently found some cute pictures for my bathroom wall....just need to hang them up. I also found a good journal that I plan to use during my mommy-time. My bedroom and living room remain a source for discontentment.

I also need to say here, I do this at the start of every school year...get discontent, make all kinds of plans to fix or update things and nothing comes of it. I tend to get over the discontentment when the hustle and bustle of Christmas takes over!! **(Not to ruin your day but there is only 116 days until Christmas....eeek!)**

2 comments:

Sami Jo said...

Chin up deary! Sounds like you are working on ideas to solve your perdicament. I get like that and it is just money and timing with us... I just have to pray that my heart is content - it is too frustrting otherwise... Idea for the walls in living room... Maybe beadboard? You know they make a beadboard wall paper now? (More affordable :) Good idea on a journal - that always makes me happy :) Don't mention Christmas - I'll pull my hair out...

Misty said...

I have been thinking of Christmas constantly.
Seriously Nikke, maybe you need to call me at 5:30 and get me out of bed. Or perhaps you need to just come back to Boise and tutor me on how to be a good mom in the morning. :(

I am discontent all of the time. no, kidding... but I am always changing something up.