Monday, November 17, 2008

DIY Project - Dinner in a basket



I am not a teacher, nor have I ever been , but I am close to some people whose occupation is teaching in the public schools. So I know from talking to them that they work hard and put in lots of hours that we (as parents) don't know about, especially during parent/teacher conference times. They sometimes are pulled away from their families during conferences and sometimes until late into the evenings for these conferences.

So this year I decided to make each teacher a little "Dinner in a basket" gift. I picked up a few baskets at the thrift store. Then I prepared some homemade chili, stuck in some crackers, a couple apples, a few biscuits (just from a can), Mr. Man made some salsa that we packaged up and I stuck in a jar of homemade pumpkin butter. I attached a note that said "With the stress of parent/teacher conferences, please enjoy dinner on us tonight! Thank you for all your hard work!"


We are going to put together a few of these for some neighbors this year for Christmas gifts. I am thinking of spaghetti noodles, a jar of sauce, garlic bread and some homemade cookies with a note that "With the stress of the holidays, please enjoy dinner tonight on us!"


4 comments:

Rachel said...

I think that is such a wonderful idea!!! I think I might give this a whirl! Thanks for the idea!!! I bet the teachers loved it.

Rachel@Simply Rachel

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is such a nice gesture! I'll bet they appreciate it too!

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kurtzhals said...

thanks for sharing. My neighbor's wife just passed away and I wanted to take him a dinner basket. Chili is the perfect idea, something he can store away in the freezer or eat right away. You solved a mystery for me.