Monday, October 27, 2008

Camping trip

This was the sunset just before we ate dinner. Isn't it gorgeous?

I had to work late Friday so on my way home I called Mr. Man to tell him I was on my way and he said
"Good! We've been waiting. We're going camping."
Me: "Ummmm, huh? Did you say camping? As in c.a.m.p.i.n.g?"
He said that he was borrowing his mom & dad's camper trailer and we were going camping.

First of all, this girl isn't crazy about camping in October (almost November!). Don't get me wrong, I like to camp, when it is nice. Call me a "fair weather camper" I guess!

So anyway, I convinced him that there was absolutely no way that I could get 5 people packed plus food gathered for a camping trip. It was already 6:00 pm. It was starting to get dark. I am not much for spur of the moment anyway, but a camping trip can not be thrown together when there is 5 people PLUS a dog now!

Before I got home my friend Michelle had called to see if she could take Lady Bug for the evening. So she met us at our house and picked Lady Bug up.

Saturday morning, the boys all took off to go to a soap box derby. They ended up and didn't stay because of the crowd. So they headed back home to get me to go camping. I got us all packed up and off we went to get lunch and Lady Bug. Then we headed to the camp ground. It was sunny, but chilly when we got there. Later in the evening it got real cold and windy!



Lefty at the campsite playing the ring game. The ring game was a lot of fun!




Spirit and Mr. Man roasting hot dogs for our dinner.


Before the wind and cold, we were able to roast hot dogs for dinner, we had roasted marshmallows for dessert, we played the ring game and the boys tossed a football around, we were also able to ride bikes. I even got to read a book for a little while. Then it got cold and windy so we moved into the camper. We played board games for awhile before going to bed.
Spirit roasting hotdogs.




Lefty and Spirit playing games.


During the night the camper was rocking so bad from the wind that I literally woke up several times just to pray the whole thing didn't tip over. I was really scared!


The boys in bed. (Somewhere in that blanket was the dog too!)



I woke up Sunday morning with a full blown migraine and could not move. I managed to pull myself together enough to go to town to get some over priced migraine pills which kicked in about an hour after I took them. I was a trooper and went to church, although I thought my head would explode during the worship service - seriously was not feeling good during that. We were camping close enough to a church we had gone to years ago so we decided to go there, after being gone for a couple of years. It was nice to see some old friends although my head still wasn't 100% so I probably wasn't as friendly as I could have been!


Then we went to lunch at a place that serves family style fried chicken and mashed taters. Many years ago they were a working farm. Now they are a restaurant, a petting zoo, they have gift shops and it is a really fun place to go! (Yep, THAT'S my kinda camping!!! Hee hee)


Then the boys took us girls home and they went back to camp again. The boys are on fall break this week and Mr. Man is on vacation from work this week.


While Lady Bug and I were painting our fingernails she said "Are we camping momma?" I said "We are doing what is called 'girls' camping!"

She and I had fun together. We watched Angelina Ballerina (twice) and a Dora movie. Then we laid together and read books before bed!


Fun times!

13 comments:

Misty said...

girl time is so awesome... you are my hero just for GOING camping this late in the year. of course, if chris suggested it, I'd smack him up the head because we are tent campers.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That sounds like soo much fun! I am not a big camper, but you make it look too good!!!

Heather said...

I love fall camping, but it WAS windy. I'm glad you didn't tip over. Oh, and I LOVE White Fence Farm. The fritters are my favorite.

Wendy said...

Hey this sounded like fun!!! Although I think I'd like to join the "Girl" camping trip!! hee hee!
..xx..
Lovely pictures!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

What fun! I would say I am not much of a camper but I have done my share! You made your trip sound great and adventurous!
-sandy toes

Jennifer said...

The only time I ever went camping I ended up in ahotel! Sounds like you had fun andI'm sure the kids loved it! Sorry about your migraine though--I get them too and they are horrid!!

Melisa S. said...

I think I prefer the girl camping to the regular kind of camping!

AndreaLeigh said...

I'm also not a huge camping fan. Give me hot baths and outlets any day! I am glad you get to spend some QT with your daughter while the men in your life get to bond. That picture is beathtaking, btw!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I'll camp but it has to be nice weather. I like your girls camping. Now that sounded like fun!

United Studies said...

I like girl camping, too. :-) But I prefer camping indoors, I''m not an outdoor tent camper. :-)

White Fence Farm sounds like a place I'd love to visit.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

You've been BOOed-check out my blog...

Steph said...

I am definitely not a camper (unless it's "girl camping"!). Can't wait to see you on Saturday! BTW - where are we going to meet?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.