Monday, August 25, 2008

Meet the teacher night

On Friday, the kids had Meet The Teacher night. They had been having more stomach issues all day so they were less than excited about going. By the time the event started they had not had a trip to the bathroom in several hours, so I decided we should go over to the school for just a few minutes.

We headed over to the school and met Lefty's teacher first. Very nice lady. She has a small class with only 5 boys. Eeek. Lefty wouldn't talk to her so we didn't stay long. She showed him his desk and where he would line up for school in the mornings.

Then we go into Spirit's classroom. His teacher is also very nice. We were the only ones in there at the time, so the teacher was really spending time with Spirit, the conversation went a little like this:

Ms. A: So this is your first year at this school?

Spirit: yes

Ms. A.: Well, I think you're going to make a lot of great friends and have a lot of fun here!

Spirit just smiled.

Ms. A.: Do you like math? Everyone likes math, right?

Spirit: No.

Ms. A.: Do you like reading?

Spirit: YES!

Ms. A.: You do! I love to read too! Do you like to run?

Spirit: Yes!

Ms. A.: Me too! I love to run. I jog every morning.

Then Spirit started rambling on and on about different things and she was listening and nodding. They were having a fun conversation (she was so sweet to let him ramble on and on).

Ms. A.: You like to talk don't you? That's ok because I like to talk to. Sometimes I talk too much, I bet you never talk too much do you?

Spirit: My mom says I talk too much sometimes.

Ms. A looked at me and we both laughed.

I proceeded to ask Ms. A. if she would allow Spirit to walk next door to pick up Lefty at the end of the school day so they can walk to the after-school program together. She said that would be no problem.
Then she looked at Spirit and said: You will have to remind me at the end of every day. Sometimes I forget, so give me a high five and then you can go to the after-school program. But you have to remind me ok?

Spirit: Ok. I will.

We mosey'd on our way back home. As soon as we got home Spirit called his dad at work and said:
Dad, you have to meet my teacher! She and I have so much in common! She likes to read and so do I! She forgets things and so do I! She likes to run and so do I! OH! And she talks a lot too dad, just like me! This is going to be a great year dad!

So much in common? What is that? I thought it was so cute and so funny! When Mr. Man got home we all went over to the school one more time so he could see their classrooms and meet the teachers. I was able to talk to Ms. A. without Spirit around and I told her what he said about how they have so much in common. She was so touched and said that was such a sweet thing for him to say!

I hope all my kids are having a good day on their first day of school today!

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

That was very sweet of her! It is going to be a great year for him!! I can't wait to hear how their first day went.

sassy stephanie said...

What a sweet teacher. Sounds like he is pumped about the school year!

Misty said...

She sounds amazing... Truly... I love that she just really pushed herself down a notch and allowed him to relate to her! Teachers who talk with the kids instead of at them- this is what our schools need!

I am really excited for him and this year too!

Julie said...

Sounds like Spirit bonded well with Ms. A!

Abby meets her first grade teacher Friday - she's DYING to get there. School starts next week for us.

United Studies said...

Sounds like your kids will have wonderful teachers this year! We are just as happy with our daughter's teacher...she's very patient and gets down on the kids' level.

Unknown said...

What a GREAT teacher and what a sweet boy! Here's to a wonderful school year in your house and mine.

Beth Cotell said...

Now THAT's my idea of a meet the teacher night!!!!

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start!