Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back-to-school Fiesta



***UPDATED: I FINALLY added pictures!!! I was having
a terrible time getting the pictures to download so this is
the best I could do right now!***

As our own little "back-to-school kickoff" we had a celebration around our house Sunday night! I wanted to post pictures, but my camera batteries are dead so I will post the pictures later (sorry)!

The kids helped me decorate the dining room with crepe paper and some bulletin board decorations I found at the dollar store. Each kid wore a party hat that I made from a bulletin board border I found at the dollar store that said "Learning Zone" on it. I cut a number from black paper that reflected the year of school they are entering (so for Spirit 2 for 2nd grade and Lefty got a 1 and Lady Bug I cut "Pk" for preschool)

Then I made a special dinner with smoked beef brisket with BBQ sauce, zucchini-corn fritters, fresh fruit salad and for dessert I made brownies that I frosted with chocolate frosting and then wrote letters and numbers on the tops with yellow and white frosting.

During dinner I read books about going back to school or books simply about school. Then Mr. Man talked to them about what we expect out of them (respect for teachers, good manners, completed school work, etc.)

After dinner we all walked the route the boys will walk to school, although mom is being difficult and not letting them walk alone to school yet. The school is literally behind the house and we could stand on the deck and watch them all the way there, but I am still nervous.

3 comments:

Bar-b said...

you and your husband rock. this is the coolest, most awesome thing to do with your kids. I am stealing, blatantly stealing this idea. If only everyone in America were this enthused about learning and education. Nice job Annike and Mr. Man.

Aubrey said...

Look at you and Mr. Man!! It is the times like this that your kids will remember for many years to come! And yes, they will also remember how "difficult" you were being by not letting them walk to school alone!

Misty said...

seriously, you guys are the coolest parents on the planet. I read this and think "it wouldn't be so hard to be that cool..." but trust me- it is.

We start school Tuesday and darn it, if I'm not going to be a horrible person and steal the idea behind your kick off dinner... But, alas, should I choose to blog about it- I'm completely passing all of the credit to you.
I promise.