Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Recipe - Homemade Dinner Rolls

This is my mother-in-law's recipe for dinner rolls. They take about 2 hours or so to make. Keep in mind some of that time is letting the dough rise, so you are not slaving over the rolls for 2 hours. I often start them and then go off and do other things. But you will need to plan for 2 hours for these if you want them for dinner.

Something you can do also, is double the recipe and then bake a batch just until right before they brown. Then let the partially cooked rolls cool completely. Place rolls in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for about 45 minutes until solid. Then place rolls in large Ziploc bags and freeze until ready to use. You can then place the rolls from freezer onto a cookie sheet and continue to bake until golden (about 10 minutes or so). This way you save some time later if you need to and only bake the number of rolls you need.

HOMEMADE DINNER ROLLS
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c oil
1 c milk, hot
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
2 pkg yeast
1 c warm water
Approximately 7 c flour (either bread flour or all purpose flour)

Mix sugar and oil together in a bowl. Add milk to sugar mixture and stir well. Add egg and salt to sugar mixture. Mix yeast with water and stir until dissolved. Add flour, 1 c at a time, until desired consistency (it should be a little sticky but not too gooey. Cover and let rise to doubled in size.

Form dough into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Dough balls can be placed closely together. I use a 13x9 jelly roll pan and get 35 dough balls on it. Cover and let the dough balls rise again for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place cookie sheet in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a good roll recipe for Thanksgiving. Do you guys love these? I love having a good roll mostly for the little leftover sandwich I make later in the day.

Annikke said...

We LOVE these. I make them often.