Wednesday, September 24, 2008

and the light bulb went off

We all have those kind of "Ah-ha!" moments, but have you ever watched your child have one?

Spirit, who just started 2nd grade this year, has loved to read since he first learned how in kindergarten. But it wasn't until just this past week that he was able to actually comprehend what he was reading. He would read and I would ask him what he just read and he couldn't tell me. Over the summer I tried to keep all the kids involved in reading, we read at night together and I bought them some new books to read. I bought Spirit a chapter book. He wouldn't pick it up. I tried reading with him. He hated it.

Then something changed.

He scoured the bookshelves and found all the chapter books for his age/grade level and started reading them one by one. In the last week he has read and comprehended 3 chapter books. Every chance he gets he is reading. AND he "gets it". When I ask what each chapter is about he tells me - with pretty great detail too! Last week Mr. Man took him the local library and he checked out 3 chapter books and is already done with one. I am loving this!

How exciting! I know this year in his class whenever they read something they have a series of questions to answer and so maybe that has helped him understand what he is reading. I don't know for sure, but am so thrilled to see him enjoying reading so much.
******************************************************************************
Here is a random thought: I just realized that one year ago Sunday (September 21) I posted my first blog. wow. I have been blogging for one year already!

8 comments:

Misty said...

i love it when kids love to read... and I honestly think most kids can love to read, they just have to have that "click" moment...

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That is such a cool lightbulb moment...how great! Also congrats on one year of blogging! :)
Carrie

Aubrey said...

Wow! ONE year! It seems like just yesterday you were letting me in on your little secret blog. LOL

I love that light bulb moment. How exciting for the both of you! Yay Spirit!!

Tiffany said...

I'm such a bookworm myself - and I have one kiddo who is and one who definitely is not. But watching them enjoy reading is such a special joy. Congratulations!

Oh - and congrats on your one year of blogging. That's great! I'm not sure how long I've been at it. I'll have to go check.

Wendy said...

Hi Annikke!
Thanks for stopping by my blog, lovely of you to leave a comment :-) I LOVE yours too!
My son has just started reading "proper" chapter books rather than school reading books, he has had that "Click" moment too and now reading time is enjoyable rather than a chore for him :-) He's on "Matilda" by Roald Dahl!
Will keep checking out your blog!
Hugs across the Ocean
Wendy..x.

sassy stephanie said...

I love to watch my 2nd grader read. She ABSORBS the books. She reads the words, studies the pics. I love it.

sassy stephanie said...

Oh! and happy blogiversary!

tiarastantrums said...

love reading with and to kids! My son is just starting to read chapters books as well - he enjoys The Twits - try that one!