Monday, January 23, 2012

It's been awhile - let's see if I can figure this out!

I haven't posted here in a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time. Mostly for lack of anything worth posting about, but I'm here to try it out again! I am being encouraged by several friends and family to start this blog back  up. We'll see how this turns out. If I hear you all snoring I know I am boring and need to stop posting here! ;-)

I won't try to do a "catch-you-up" blog post since it has been 5 months since I posted anything! So let's just start with the here and now!

Spirit will be in the District Spelling Bee in February. Both boys were in the school spelling bee a couple weeks ago. Spirit didn't practice as hard as Lefty because he was convinced he would be eliminated right away anyway. Lefty made it down to the last 6-7 kids and Spirit got 2nd place! (Not bad for a kid who thought he'd be eliminated right away!) So now he is pretty determined to study harder. Apparently for the district spelling bee he will be taking a written test and if he scores high enough (not sure what the "high enough" is) then he will go on to the oral part later in the day. We spell as often as we can: while I am cooking dinner, while he is getting dressed, while I am folding laundry...we are taking every opportunity to practice!

Lefty was in a "Math Challenge" in December which was similar to a spelling bee in that the kids were given oral math problems they had to solve. It was a tough thing for him but he faired pretty well! He says he won't do it again - he was a physical mess before the Math Challenge. He was so stressed he was sick to his stomach for weeks and could hardly sleep!

Lady Bug has joined Girl Scouts - just in time to sell cookies. She is enjoying the "girl" company. Being with brothers all day every day can get old! It has been good for her to hang out with girls and be able to talk about girly things! I have to admit though, I hope she doesn't want to stick this out very long because I do not make a good Girl Scout mom.

That is the quick update for now. More to come!

2 comments:

Misty said...

Woot Woot!

And don't you get it? people don't read your blog because of updates- it's because of you! Even if there is "nothing to write about" as you say, it's still a place for you... I, for one, feel that you blogging MADE MY DAY!

Beth Cotell said...

Welcome back!!! So happy to see you are posting again! Congrats to Spirit on his 2nd place! That's awesome!